Our bodies are a gift: Client interview
1) How old are you... or if you prefer, who were you listening to at age 14 :)? I'm 26. I was a big Outkast fan at 14 - still am!!!
2) What do you do for a living? I work in healthcare.
3) What/who made you decide to book a boudoir session? There were a couple of factors that prompted me to book my boudoir session. The number one reason was that I was planning my upcoming wedding and thought it would be an awesome gift for my husband to be. Something intimate for us to share together and to look back on fondly. I couldn't wait to give him the pictures the morning of our wedding!
I had also recently started working with advanced stage cancer patients whose bodies were literally a battle ground. They were fighting for their lives everyday. Spending time with my patients allowed me to come to the realization that we only get one body in this life. There is no guarantee how long we have in it. We should treat it well and be thankful for all the wonderful things it can do. I stopped seeing my body as a series of flaws and tried to look at it as a gift. I wanted to document its strength and health partly as proof to myself and to serve as a reminder whenever I'm feeling insecure about myself. Changing my mindset was instrumental in giving me the guts to do a boudoir shoot!
4) Did you have any obstacles or fears about boudoir? Of course! I had the normal fears of being naked in front of stranger. I initially thought only women with "perfect" bodies did this sort of thing, but after seeing Sarah's website it was clear she photographs all types of bodies AND makes them all look wonderful. After I saw that I let go of my fears and just started to get EXCITED!!!
5) Why did you choose OWN? Sarah's personality just came through on her website and during our email exchanges. She seemed so genuine and sweet she erased all anxiety and just got me excited!!! Also, like I said above, their is proof on her website that she can photograph all bodies in a flattering way - not just seemingly "perfect" ones.
6) How was the actual session different from what you expected (if at all)? It was way more fun that I anticipated. I truly felt like a movie star. Sitting in her beautiful studio in downtown Atlanta, getting primped, looking at my outfits, and discussing poses was a blast! When I first walked in she greeted me with snacks and mimosas. We chatted while her makeup/hair artist got me primped and then we dove right in to the shoot. She gave excellent directions. Lift your chin, turn your hip, move your arm. I never felt awkward or unsure of what to do.
7) What was your favorite part of the entire experience? (priming, the shoot, seeing images, giving the images..etc) Ummm...ALL OF IT!!!! Sarah was wonderful throughout the whole process. I think the overall feeling I got was the best part. I felt sexy! Strong! Beautiful in my own skin! I was afraid I'd feel hyper-aware of all of my (perceived) flaws, but I ended up feeling the exact opposite. I was proud of my body. Other than the feeling, seeing the images was the best part. I COULD NOT BELIEVE it was me in those pictures.
8) How has the response been to your images? My husband loves them! He actually didn't believe it was me for minute! He thought the photography was beautiful, tasteful, and just the right combination of playful/sexy.
9) What is your advice for women interested in such a session? Just do it. You will not regret it. I promise.
10) Did anything change about the way you see your own beauty as a result of this session? Like I said, I had been trying to be appreciative of my body and to stop focusing on my flaws. This shoot was tremendous in helping me achieve that! Something unexpected happened too - I realized, after years of comparing myself to women in magazines, that anybody can look "magazine flawless" with the help of a professional. I stopped falling into the "comparison" trap.
I can't thank Sarah enough for providing such an awesome experience. I'm so appreciative and hope that I can do it again very soon. Either when I turn 30 or during my first pregnancy - whichever happens first!!!